Monday, October 4, 2010

Wardrobe Challenge

On Saturday I was scheduled to give a Creative Nonfiction workshop at the University of Western Ontario for alumni attending Homecoming Weekend.  Because I am not a morning person and my workshop was scheduled for 9am, I decided to spend the night at a friend's in London.

It was while driving to London (about an hour and a half away) that I realized that while I had my suitcase, a couple of beers to share, and my purse, my outfit was still hanging on the doorjamb of my office.  It was then that I entered my own reality show challenge:  make an outfit out of what you can find at your friend's place.

Let me set the stage - my friend (a guy) wears predominantly plaid flannel shirts.  I believe he likes to rotate a wardrobe of three or four.  However, he's house-sitting, which meant there might be clothes left behind by the homeowners.  I could only hope for the best.  At the time I was still wearing what I'd hiked in earlier that day (loose jeans and a long sleeve wicking shirt) with my clogs (which I'd intended to wear Saturday morning with a Comme des Garcons dress over a white shirt).

Not only did I forget my outfit, but I packed leggings instead of tights, which just spiced up the challenge.

Here's the best I could come up with.  What you can't see is that the waistband of the skirt is tucked into the top of my leggings so it wouldn't ride down.
Not my regular style, but it seemed to be okay.  My friend could not help me so I borrowed clothes from the couple whose house it was.  It was definitely a challenge.  Hopefully one I won't have to repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment