Sunday, May 15, 2011

Bleeding Rangers' Blue

I was really saddened by the news that Derek Boogaard, an enforcer for the Rangers, was found dead in his apartment. He was 28 years old. He'd only played part of one season with us (I say "us" because the Rangers are part of my extended family), suffering a concussion that sidelined him partway through, and I'm sure he would've made a great impact for us next season. You can read the New York Times story on it. Too sad. If his death was related to his concussion, the discussion on head shots in the NHL is sure to take on even greater urgency.
     Speaking of head shots, the other Ranger making news is my guilty love, Sean Avery. Yes, despite the fact that he is, quite honestly, often an ass-clown, I have a soft spot for him in my heart. Sure, sometimes he makes it hard to love him. Sometimes, I'm embarrassed. But maybe it's the fact that he doesn't care what people think or that he's into fashion and interned at Vogue or maybe it's his choice off-ice eyewear. Anyway, now he's made a public service announcement/advertisement for the Human Rights Campaign.


Gay marriage is not a primary issue for me. It's an important issue as far as the rights and privileges it affords same-sex couples, but let's face it - it was about property before, whether that property was your daughter or your land. Also, this need to be just like everyone else is, frankly, tedious.

No comments:

Post a Comment