Friday, January 10, 2014

Refinement in the New Year

The holidays came fast and hard, and quite honestly, I can't say that I was able to really sink into the season, which is a shame because I've always loved the holidays.  However, I think there's been some clarity achieved about both the costs and the benefits of traveling during the holiday season.  Right now, many in my family are opting for a no-travel plan.  I'll explore the implications of that later.

In the meantime, refining is a theme for me in this new year.  I'm thinking about who I am and how I want my life to be; a constant project, I know, but one that I'm more conscious of right now.  As part of this I am continuing to make, mend, thrift, or - buy?! - do without?!...we'll see.  First, there's plenty of making to be done.
I've signed up to participate in Ysolde Teague's Mystery Knitalong.  I'll be making a shawl using clues and options that are delivered throughout the next month.  I haven't been a bit shawl knitter, but this feels like a great option for me.  A bit of a "make your own adventure" kind of knitting.

I'm also going to try to participate in Deer & Doe's Plaintain challenge; they have a free t-shirt pattern that they're challenging people to customize and finish by the end of the month.  I'm taking the T-Shirt making workshop at the workroom on Sunday, so I feel like I might get the chops to do this.

I've already sewn a top (started it on the 1st, finished it on the 2nd - yay!), and I have the fabric to make a skirt to go with it.  I'll blog about that, with photos, soon.

Anyone else challenging themselves to handmake more items this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment