Wednesday, April 11, 2012

In Search Of: T-Shirt

You may not comment regularly on this blog, but I'm hoping that some of you who stop by here might take a moment and help me in my search if you can.

I'm looking for the 100% cotton go-to t-shirt.  My primary parameters are as follows:
1) Made in the US or Canada in sweatshop-free/ethical working conditions*
2) Good construction & fit
3) Medium to lightweight fabric

Other things I'm interested in are price (it's a staple, not a special occasion luxury item) and whether organic cotton is an option.  I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but that's all I can think of now.  If you know of any manufacturers/designers who fit this bill, please let me know by leaving a comment.

*Yes, American Apparel is the first and obvious choice; however, I find their ads skeevy.  My son calls them Anorexic Apparel, and I have to say - I see his point.

3 comments:

  1. Cotton Ginny was my go-to place for cotton T's until they closed. I have an Old Navy cotton T that I bought a few years ago-- great design & fit and it was made in Singapore (no sweatshops there). If you look past the frumpy tops, Northern Reflections sells plain cotton T's but they are made in China. Marks Work Warehouse also sells T's but the design isn't great, the construction is hit and miss and they now add nasty chemicals to most of their clothes. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try Me to We for ethically made cotton tees. I have a few oversized bamboo tops that I wear to bed, but they make regular T's too. The company was started by Craig and Marc Kielburger-- Money goes to a good cause.-- http://www.metowestyle.com/Sahara-Tee-p/20100.htm

    ReplyDelete