Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Working Around Baggage Fees

If you've read some of my other travel-related posts, you know I get my crank on about certain things, especially draconian baggage limits and fees (see posts involving Air Berlin).  However, here's a little tip for those of you who still like to check their bags but don't want to pay the fee.  On both my flights, which, of course, were overbooked and totally full, they begged people to surrender their roller bags to be checked, free of charge, to their final destination.  On one airline, Alaska Air, they even let those who volunteered board before the regular steerage class.

Yes, it's still carry-on size, but I bet you could bring a slightly larger one (you've seen the corporate types do it) and gamble on the opportunity to be a good citizen and gate check your bag.

There is an exception to the beauty of ridding yourself of your luggage this way, don't do it if you're flying into Toronto Pearson.  I'd rather fight for my overhead space than grow old waiting for the baggage to show up on the carousel.  There's only so much I can put up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment