Saturday, February 27, 2016

Feel Me, Read Me, Eat Me, Make Me

(Time to clean up all the tabs on my browser; it's starting to drive me crazy.)
My Christmas cactus has a flower!
Seasonal Ontario Food has a two-part series on how big one's vegetable garden should be.  I'm keenly interested in this as we've been doing a major overhaul of our backyard, and there will be a dedicated vegetable garden space.  Combining this with Mother Earth News's recent article on gardens for food preservers, I could be in fine form.  Plus, it makes me think spring is coming.

I follow Lyndsey Eden on Instagram and am always blown away by her beautifully styled food images.  It doesn't hurt that there are actual recipes to go with them, and I'm finding myself intrigued by this salad.  If you're looking for something a bit more hearty, I'd suggest this variation on the twice-baked potato from the New York Times.

Since we're talking about food, I think this book will be finding its way onto my bookshelf soon.

If you're thinking about what to knit, you might to check this out: Naturally Straight Forward is having a flash sale on its patterns.  I bought this shawl pattern
Image from Drea Renee Knits
and this sweater pattern
Krista Blevin Photography

Karen from Day In & Day Out sent me this link, and it's got me wondering whether I could do a similar treatment to some of my clothes.  I did take that embroidery class awhile back...

I'm always in favour of an article that talks about how fashion retailers are capitalizing on the consumer trend of buying clothes that actually last.  While I don't think it's signalling the end of fast fashion, it's nice to know retailers are paying attention (of course, they are when it can mean financial gain).

Dovetailing nicely with this is that the next book in the Colette Book Club is Overdressed:  The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap Fashion.

Unfortunately, yesterday I got an email announcing the closing of the ethical fashion line Eloise Grey.  I've adored some of her coats, many fabricated in a tweed of undyed shetland yarn woven within 100 miles of the farms on which the sheep were raised.  I could never quite afford one, however.  Everything is on deep discount now, and she has a few items still in stock (alas or perhaps thankfully not in my size) so you might find something for yourself.   If I can enable you, I'm happy.  It's vicarious shopping.

And finally, what's a Feel Me post without something bike related?  Incomplete!  So go ahead and fantasize about what bike trip you might take this year by reading the latest issue of Bicycle Traveler Magazine.  I'm in the process of planning a trip in Quebec with my father.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment