Friday, March 18, 2011

Judge Not Lest Ye Miss Out

I'm probably the first to admit that I can be quick to judge.  I don't like "judgmental" because it sounds so negative and persistent.  However, I judge, and I had judged Amanda Brooks' book I Love Your Style as yet another socialite's unnecessary foray into publishing.

Yet I was intrigued enough by it to get it from my local library. (Yes, I own a library card and use it often; you should too - good for the budget.)  I hadn't dismiss it in its entirety because I'd read how she wanted to create something like Cheap Chic, my style bible.  I believe in this book so much that I own two copies of it - my original that's falling apart, with notations throughout, and a second copy scored from Powell's for far less than it now goes for on the open market.  It would be one of the first things I saved if there were a fire.  It's that monumental.  Trust me on that.

Anyway, now that I've flipped through I Love Your Style, I think I might've been wrong. (If I were really judgmental, that would be difficult for me to say.)  While there's a lot of Brooks as style exemplar in here (at least it shows that she walks the walk), I find the attention to detail around different kinds of looks really great.  In addition to outlining, say, "Street" or "Bohemian" style, she provides ideas for mixing it up, icons (both contemporary and historic) who embody that style, as well as books and movies you can turn to for further information/inspiration, and more.  I have to admit - it's a pretty nice package, and when I can, I'll try to find my own copy.

I'm always on the lookout for great books about style and fashion.  If you have any favourites, I'd love to learn about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment