Saturday, May 17, 2014

Natchez Trace: Grammar & Social Commentary

So I've stopped photographing every grammatical mistake I find because, frankly, I'm tired of them.  Here are just a few more.

In addition to finding the grammar or spelling mistakes, my father and I have taken to unpacking the signs for their hidden messages or reinterpretation of history.  At the end of this post, I have uploaded Werner Herzog reading Curious George, which I feel is along the lines of what we try to do.  Enjoy!
Are they referring to multiple storekeepers or was it just one?  And does anyone possess anything?  Also, what's up with that last sentence?

Where, oh where, are the commas we need here?
Some spelling mistakes are carved in stone... guess the Daughters of the American Revolution couldn't afford a proofreader.
It's really nice that "Americans" could travel safely through Indian land.
Uh, by "other men" do you mean poor men? Not unlike prison populations today.

Hi, kids!  Today's lessons is on connotation - what do you think the opinion is of "Indians" in the first sentence?



1 comment:

  1. Oh you are such a Manley! Love the pictures...safe travels
    Aunt Peg

    ReplyDelete