Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Lest You Think There's Been No Crafting...

I have been crafting up a storm this summer although none of the last four things I've made go toward my stash-busting goal.  I will post photos soon-ish of the aforementioned items (for the dying-of-curiosity types - a shawl, a tunic, a hat, and a cuff).

I've also been biking as much as possible for everyday transportation, and over the course of my travels, it's become clear to me that I could really use a purse-like thing that straps to my bike, either like a pannier to the rear rack, a trunk (also on rear rack), or on the handlebars.  Sometimes I just don't feel like wearing a backpack or constantly readjusting the straps of some bag I'm wearing.  So I started searching for something that might fit the bill and not break the bank.

My favourite thus far is the Logan Trunk bag from Po Campo

But there's a problem.  It's made in China.  This is actually a real issue for me (and often saves me money - hah!).  It seems like it might've been made in the US at one time, and I've emailed the company to see why they moved overseas (okay, I know why, but I feel that by asking them they know that it can affect whether an individual buys their product).  Even though they give a bicycle to a schoolgirl in Africa for every 25 bikes they sell, I'm not sure it's enough to sway me.  Maybe I need to come up with some kind of matrix of pros and cons around manufacturing issues.

Then, the ladyfriend comes home from the mechanic today and I learn we have $3,000 worth of repairs looming in the not-too-distant future, which actually means we have to buy a new car.  Suddenly the relatively reasonable price of the Logan Trunk bag feels unnecessarily expensive.

Enter craft!  I found this Amy Butler pattern (for free!) online, and I think I can modify it to work on my bike.  I'll add a shoulder strap (pattern includes this) as well as straps to secure it to the rack or my handlebars (will decide on that as I sew).
I've made other Amy Butler bags (High Street Messenger bag as well as her yoga mat bag), and they can be a bit involved (the messenger bag was quite the experience, but I love it and use it all the time).  I have some oilcloth although I'm not sure I have enough for this.  Worse comes to worse, I'll Scotchguard (remember that?!) the fabric so I can use what I have in my stash as opposed to buying more fabric.

I will say, deciding to make it myself means more time and the possibility that it might never happen (hey, I'm being realistic), but I have the pattern and the desire.  Hopefully I'll find the time and energy to follow through.

No comments:

Post a Comment