Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Feel Me, Read Me, Watch Me, Eat Me

Think this might be my new profile picture
 My father reads my blog and says to me, "You must be busy; you're only posting what you're wearing to teach right now." (Yes, my father uses semicolons when he speaks.  It's a family thing.)  I hate to contradict him, but I'm not the most consistent blogger on the block even when I'm not busy.  Nonetheless, a little nudging goes a long way (or at least all the way to a blog post).

Two things from the Serious Eats world.  Firstly, how amazing does roasted brussels sprouts with kimchi and ginger sound? (If you're the boy, then I know you're answer, but everyone else, feel free to oooh and ahhh).   It's the season of brussels sprouts - a hardy winter-eating vegetable - and I'm looking forward to all the root vegetable (I know, brussels sprouts are not a root vegetable) recipes that are sure to crop up (hah!).

The other item from Serious Eats was the suggestion of a cookbook club, "The idea behind Cookbook Club is a simple one—a group of friends all make recipes from the same book and gather to share the results."  What a great idea although I may have to wait until 2016 to consider launching such an endeavour.

If I can ride my bike every day and in every way, I'm happy.  So thanks to Raise the Hammer (yes, an awesome name for a website about Hamilton), I have some new trails to explore.  I'm particularly interested in checking out the Red Hill Valley Trail.  Looks great.  Maybe we need to buy the ladyfriend her new bike this weekend.

While I haven't listened to it in its entirety yet, there's a new music sampler out from the Utne Reader.  While I still listen to the radio, it's gotten harder and harder to find new (or new-to-me) music that I like.  This past weekend, a friend introduced me to Smith & Mighty.  Sure, they've been around since the late '80s, but it's a sound I'm liking now.  The ladyfriend read an article in The Atlantic that revealed that most of the pop songs we hear now are written by two or three Scandanavian guys (plus a few friends).  Do I need to go into a whole thing about lack of diversity, the homogenization of culture, and the loss of individual identity?  No?  Good.  I didn't think so.

Enjoy the rest of the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment