Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Not Really What I Had in Mind...

...when I said I needed a stay-cation.  Instead, I've been somewhat leveled by a virus/flu/allergy juggernaut - oh yeah.  So instead of filling my days crafting, writing, and just enjoying my house, I'm coughing, napping, and grading.

It's hard for me to be at home but unable to do all the things I need or want to do because of my flagging energy levels.  I'm prone to overdoing it or being too ambitious, thereby delaying my return to health.  I'm working very hard on getting better because we fly to Nashville on Friday morning (hoorah!), and it would suck to be sick there. I'm encouraging the lady friend to take as many preventive measures as possible to avoid taking up the mantle of "sick girl." 

I myself am mixing homeopathic/folk remedies with good old Tylenol and Nyquil - yum!  Tonight's soup should also do me good.


Sick Girl Soup (aka What I Had On Hand Soup)

1 onion - chopped
1 carrot - chopped
2 stalks of celery - chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic (the more, the merrier and so good for your immune system) - chopped
dried mushrooms (if you have some), soaked in 2 cups of hot water for about 15 minutes or so; then chopped
1 lb (or whatever unit it was sold to me in) of kale - roughly cut
3 or so cups of stock
1 cup of tubetti pasta
1/2 cup of white wine
Parmesan cheese

Chop the onion and saute over low heat in bacon fat (don't judge, I'm sick); after the onions start to become translucent, add the chopped carrots and celery and saute for another five or so minutes (I didn't really time it, just checked to make sure it wasn't burning), then add the garlic and chopped mushrooms.  After another few minutes, add the kale and saute until everything has been mixed together and the kale has started to wilt.  Add the stock and mushroom soaking water (filtered through a kitchen rag or cheesecloth, paper towel if you must) and simmer for about 15 minutes until all the vegetables are soft.

Grab your trusty immersion blender or regular blender and whiz the whole thing together.  The smoothness of it is up to you.  Add the cup of tubetti and bring to a boil.  Cook for about 10 minutes (or to taste).  Taste and adjust seasonings (I salt & pepper throughout), add the wine and cook until it just comes back to a simmer.  Serve topped with a little Parmesan

No comments:

Post a Comment