Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Thinking about 2010

The whole tribe is still in town, which is both nice and exhausting.  I'd like to sleep for, say, 14 hours.  That should do the trick.  In the meantime, I've been mulling over what I want 2010 to look like.

A few years ago I realized that the new year doesn't necessarily represent a time to change but a time to be more of who I already am.  That might mean changes in habits or tendencies so therefore changes are actually tweaks. Think of it like a revision on a piece of writing - it's like tuning a drum; you keep tightening different screws on the drumhead until you get the sound you want; those are the kinds of changes I'm talking about.  Luckily for me, I'm the kind of person who likes to learn and try new things so if I include some of those in my "list," it's still authentic to who I am.

One thing I've already decided to do is to have an Everyday-for-a-Month activity.  I'm not so linear that it's going to be for the whole year; just until I'm done with it.  For example, one month will require that I write a letter or postcard everyday.  Another month will see a lot of hats, and yet another will get me reading more books.  For me it's both about engaging in something that I enjoy but often feel like I can't fit into my everyday life as well as putting an artificial external construct on my actions (something I perversely enjoy).

So, not looking at resolutions, but revisions.  What about you?

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of becoming 'more of who I am'. I'll toast to that! Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete