Wednesday, June 9, 2010

A deep sense of satisfaction

Thanks for all the comments on my last post.  I usually try to avoid voicing these kinds of disappointments but sometimes it just hits a nerve.  What can I say?  I was really hopeful (they'd had that story since October!).  By the way, I enjoy both gin and vodka, but more often stick to vodka because once I had too many gin martinis and had the worst and weirdest dreams (plus a wicked hangover).
   The May/June issue of Selvedge arrived today - finally!  I'd seen it at the workroom a few weeks ago, but now I have it in my hot little hands.  I plan on savouring it over the next few days or weeks.  There are just so many beautiful things to consider within it.
   The day was a bit rainy, but my father and I decided to tackle my front yard - putting in some more plants, moving a couple of others, and giving a good layer of mulch.  The front yard has truly been a work in progress.   We've taken it from grass, which we mowed irregularly, to a more sustainable lawn based on my interpretation of xeriscaping.  I like the way it's turning out because it's totally unexpected, and after our three-hour plus gardening extravaganza I now await a call from House & Garden.  The hard, dirty work was very satisfying, and it was great to see results like that.  Hopefully I'll have some good light to take a photo tomorrow.
   Another area of satisfaction was dinner - my father brought up potatoes from his garden, and we made a potato salad with a kind of chimichuri dressing.  Somehow I cooked the potatoes perfectly - just tender enough and no mush!  We had steak (from our meat CSA) plus corn on the cob (first of the season for us) and an awesome veggie salad Liss made.  I know, it doesn't sound like a lot, but it satisfied on so many levels.
   Finally, the Chicago Blackhawks won the Cup tonight.  They were our favourites since the Rangers were nowhere in sight (having missed the playoffs altogether).  Maybe next year we'll be cheering the Blue Shirts!
   Really today was about finding deep satisfaction in some simple pleasures.

No comments:

Post a Comment