Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Enthusiasm, Joy, and the Internet

Recently I've realized that two of the things that excite me the most about the internet are blogs and podcasts.  With blogs not only do I get to meet new people (yes, in a virtual kind of way), but I also get a curated list of other blogs I might like.  I find things that I'd never have discovered on my own, probably because I'd be too lazy to really dig them out.

I only listen to a couple of podcasts regularly now - This American Life and All Songs Considered - and I'd have to say that I'm totally enthusiastic about All Songs Considered.  When I was an undergrad, music was my scene - I was a dj at the college radio station, my life revolved around going to shows and seeing bands, and I produced a fanzine (only one issue).  Sure, I was supposed to be thinking about classes, but we're talking about my first two years of university - cool bands were playing all over the place.

The thing is - I think they still are, but I just haven't tapped into that, and to be quite honest, I don't always have the energy.  So I listen to the local college radio station and All Songs Considered.  I get introduced to bands I haven't heard of and feel excited about music rather than nostalgic.  And listen, when the podcast includes Carrie Brownstein, Robin Hilton, and Stephen Thompson with Bob Boilen - it's hysterical fun and close to brilliant.   Listening to their discussion of the past decade in pop music last night on my way home from teaching made my f*ckin' day.  What can I say?  I'm happy to be exited by new things!  I'm going out and buying music - at a record/cd shop - and maybe some of it will be vinyl.

What else should I be listening to?

1 comment:

  1. 'If i had my way..." (Lucinda Williams-Something about what happens when we talk) I'd hang out in your blog and talk about music till there was nothing left to say. In which case, we'd both be dead. I'm under pressure here, and late to the game. Its monday night already- so many posts, so little time.

    I believe music is a spiritual experience and/or a soul journey. Do you want to go forward or all the way back?

    In terms of Top Shop Pop, I want Lady GAGA to be my friend. And not just for the inherent "knowing" thqt is Radio Ga-Ga.

    Other musical expressions to help me reach my higher self:
    Jestofunk
    Yo Majesty
    Les Cowboys Frigant (Hey- They're Canadiennes!)
    Bran Van 3000
    Madeleine Peyroux

    ReplyDelete